The Wavesaber or Waveblade is a technologically advanced close-combat weapon. It resembles a small hilt. When activated it creates a limited electromagnetic field in the form of a blade extending from the tip of the hilt. It then ionizes the air inside the field so that the field can contain it. After this an extremely high-power piezo-quartz starts to oscillate in the hilt and create infrasound waves inside the field. The airwaves are contained within the field and resonate, until the force of the pressure waves (the sound) inside the field is so strong that it rips apart any object put into the field by sheer pressure.
Since the field is kept very thin, it can be used to deliver very fine cuts, although it is technically not cutting things.
It is also thought that small particles in the air like dust or sand increase it's power, because it then also functions as a sand-blasting machine.
Not all of the sound is contained within the field though, so they are known for a characteristic low hum.
Waveblades are rare objects, the technology to create and maintain them is almost lost, only the Serano Archives and a rare few other places still store the knowledge how to make them, and the infrastructure needed is also mostly gone. As such the remaining waveblades are rare artifacts handed from one swordmaster to the other, sometimes through violence. They are a token of high level swordmasters and demand respect just from possession. Additionally, because the blade has no real weight, it is easy to hurt oneself while using them, so only experts will use it.
- It can cut through nearly all known materials, even steel, as long as it has a standard iron component. More magnetized steels and metals however, can disrupt the field and be used to block or even completely destroy the field. Complete destruction is dangerous, however, because when the field is gone, the soundwaves directly escape the hilt and can blast the eardrums of everyone in the vicinity, if not actually causing concussions.
- It can not be physically stopped: You can stab through any sort of defense. This also means you cannot usually fence with them, although some are modulated so the fields cancel each other out when the blades clash.
- It is very light, and when switched of, easy to carry.
- More magnetized steels and metals however, can disrupt the field and be used to block or even completely destroy the field. Complete destruction is dangerous, however, because when the field is gone, the soundwaves directly escape the hilt and can blast the eardrums of everyone in the vicinity, if not actually causing concussions. As such, special materials like the like the Magnaszener Steel forged by the Fley are necessary. These are tempered and magnetized in such a way that weapons, shields and armor made from it can block blows by the Waveblade.
- It's not a passive weapon, and so needs a lot of energy, stored in small atomic batteries. There are models which are supported by Magic Power.